What a perfect colourful summer salad!
Ingredients for Confetti Summer Salad:
- 1 cup chickpeas
- 1 cup black beans
- 2 cups green beans, blanched and cut into 1-inch pieces*
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 1/2 cup minced red onion
- 1 avocado, cut into chunks
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
- 10 basil leaves, chiffonade**
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
In a bowl, toss together beans, green beans, tomatoes, onion, avocado, jalapeño and basil. In a second bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, honey, salt and pepper. Add vinaigrette to salad and toss to coat. Refrigerate for an hour before serving to let it marinate, or enjoy straight away.
YIELD: Makes 8 servings
*Blanching makes beans tender and bright. Boil for 30 seconds, then plunge into ice water to stop the cooking.
**Chiffonade is a fancy word for cutting leafy greens into ribbons. Stack the leaves, roll up and slice thinly.
Photo Credit: Skinny Taste
Modified recipe: Epicurious