Tart rhubarb mixed with sweet honey gives it a gentle sweet and sour taste of sauce, used on this famous chicken dish. I love a dish full of flavour and easy to make entrée!
- 2 tbsp coriander seeds
- 2 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds
- ½ tsp whole cloves (about 12)
- 2 tsp chili flakes
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- 2 lbs skin-on chicken thighs, on the bone
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ cup chopped shallots
- ½ cup red wine
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp honey
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups chopped rhubarb
- 4 cups baby spinach
- Preheat the oven to 400.F (200.C)
- Toast coriander, cumin, fennel and cloves in a skillet over medium heat for 2 minutes or until fragrant. Stir in chili flakes. Let cook 30 seconds longer, then grind toasted spices together in a spice grinder or using a mortar and pestle. Add turmeric and stir to combine.
- Season chicken with salt then sprinkle 2 tbsp spice mixture. Heat oil in an ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches, add thighs, skin-side down. Brown chicken for 2-3 minutes a side, then transfer to a plate.
- Pour fat from pan leaving 2 tbsp and reduce heat to medium. Add shallots and sauté for a minute. Add wine, sugar, and honey, and bring to boil. Let boil for 1 minute, then add stock and rhubarb. Simmer for 5 minutes or until rhubarb is softened.
- Place thighs on top of sauce and bake uncovered for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and tuck spinach under the chicken an dinto the sauce. Return to oven and cook for 10-15 minutes longer or until chicken juices run clear. Serve thighs coated with sauce.
Inspired by Food and Drink 2015